February is Heart Health Month. Celebrate by working on your heart. Here are 10 ideas to get you started.
- Go with more Grains - More whole grains like whole wheat pasta, brown rice and oatmeal make your diet happy.
- Fruits and Veggies ROCK! - Using these for snacks and dinner are the keys to winning with this combo.
- Hold the Salt - Use herbs for flavor instead and keep sodium under 2400 milligrams/day.
- Use Those Stairs! - Walk whenever you can. Every mini-session throughout the day helps add up to the recommended 30-minutes.
- Portion Control - Pasta = 1/2 cup. Ice cream = 1 scoop.
Small is good. Small is trendy. Small is the new... well, small.
- Counting Calories - Yeah, we all hate this part, but know your limit and stick with it as much as possible.
- Remember your Omega 3's - These essential fatty acids, found in salmon, trout, herring, sardines and walnuts, can really lower your risk. Try for two times a week.
- Time for an Oil Change - No, not the car. Switch from butter, margarine, corn and coconut oil to olive oil and canola oil or trans-fat free spreads.
- Extinguish Your Ciggy - Cigarettes = bad. Duh.
- Get "Sexy" - Making "whoopie" three times a week can cut your risk of heart attack in half. (!-Hubbies everywhere will rejoice-!)