Aug 22, 2008

Political Post

My name is Dan Frost. I live in Kokomo, Indiana. I'm 45 years old, a Christian, a husband, a father, a veteran, and a homeowner. I don't consider myself to be either conservative or liberal, and I vote for the person, not Republican or Democrat. I don't believe there are 'two Americas' - but that every person in this country can be whomever and whatever they want to be if they'll just work to get there - and nowhere else on earth can they find such opportunities. I believe our government should help those who are legitimately downtrodden, and should always put the interests of America first.


The purpose of this message is that I'm concerned about the future of this great nation. I'm worried that the silent majority of honest, hard-working, tax-paying people in this country have been passive for too long. Most folks I know choose not to involve themselves in politics.. They go about their daily lives, paying their bills, raising their kids, and doing what they can to maintain the good life. They vote and consider doing so to be a sacred trust. They shake their heads at the political pundits and so-called 'news', thinking that what they hear is always spun by whomever is reporting it. They can't understand how elected officials can regularly violate the public trust with pork barrel spending. They don't want government handouts. They want the government to protect them, not raise their taxes for more government programs.

We are in the unique position in this country of electing our leaders. It's a privilege to do so. I've never found a candidate in any election with whom I agreed on everything. I'll wager that most of us don't even agree with our families or spouses 100% of the time. So when I step into that voting booth, I always try to look at the big picture and cast my vote for the man or woman who is best qualified for the job. I've hired a lot of people in my lifetime, and essentially that's what an election is - a hiring process.. Who has the credentials? Whom do I want working for me? Whom can I trust to do the job right?

I'm concerned that a growing number of voters in this country simply don't get it. They are caught up in a fervor they can't explain, and calling it 'change'.

Change what?, I ask.

Well, we're going to change America, they say.

In what way?, I query.

We want someone new and fresh in the White House, they exclaim.

So, someone who's not a politician?, I press.

Uh, well, no, we just want a lot of stuff changed, so we're voting for Obama, they state.

So the current system, the system of freedom and democracy that has enabled a man to grow up in this great country, get a fine education, raise incredible amounts of money and dominate the news and win his party's nomination for the White House - that system's all wrong?

No, no, that part of the system's okay - we just need a lot of change.

And so it goes. 'Change we can believe in.' Quite frankly, I don't believe that vague proclamations of change hold any promise for me. In recent months, I've been asking virtually everyone I encounter how they're voting. I live in Illinois, so most folks tell me they're voting for Barack Obama. But no one can really tell me why - only that he's going to change a lot of stuff. Change, change, change. I have yet to find one single person who can tell me distinctly and convincingly why this man is qualified to be President and Commander-in-Chief of the most powerful nation on earth- other than the fact that he claims he's going to implement a lot of change..

We've all seen the emails about Obama's genealogy, his upbringing, his Muslim background, and his church affiliations. Let's ignore this for a moment. Put it all aside. Then ask yourself, what qualifies this man to be my president? That he's a brilliant orator and talks about change?

CHANGE WHAT?

Friends, I'll be forthright with you - I believe the American voters who are supporting Barack Obama don't have a clue what they're doing, as evidenced by the fact that not one of them - NOT ONE of them I've spoken to can spell out his qualifications. Not even the most liberal media can explain why he should be elected. Political experience? Negligible. Foreign relations? Non-existent. Achievements? Name one. Someone who wants to unite the country? If you haven't read his wife's thesis from Princeton, look it up on the web. This is who's lining up to be our next First Lady? The only thing I can glean from Obama's constant harping about change is that we're in for a lot of new taxes.

For me, the choice is clear. I've looked carefully at the two leading applicants for the job, and I've made my choice.

Here's a question - where were you five and a half years ago? Around Christmas, 2002. You've had five or six birthdays in that time. My son has grown from a fourth grade child to a high school freshman. Five and a half years is a good chunk of time. About 2,000 days. 2,000 nights of sleep.. 6, 000 meals, give or take.

JohnMcCain spent that amount of time, from 1967 to 1973, in a North Vietnamese prisoner-of-war camp.

When offered early release, he refused it. He considered this offer to be a public relations stunt by his captors, and insisted that those held longer than he should be released first. Did you get that part? He was offered his freedom, and he turned it down. A regimen of beatings and torture began.

Do you possess such strength of character? Locked in a filthy cell in a foreign country, would you turn down your own freedom in favor of your fellow man? I submit that's a quality of character that is rarely found, and for me, this singular act defines JohnMcCain.

Unlike several presidential candidates in recent years whose military service is questionable or non-existent, you will not find anyone to denigrate the integrity and moral courage of this man. A graduate of Annapolis, during his Naval service he received the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. His own son is now serving in the Marine Corps in Iraq. Barack Obama is fond of saying 'We honor JohnMcCain's service...BUT...', which to me is condescending and offensive - because what I hear is, 'Let's forget this man's sacrifice for his country and his proven leadership abilities, and talk some more about change.'

I don't agree with JohnMcCain on everything - but I am utterly convinced that he is qualified to be our next President, and I trust him to do what's right. I know in my heart that he has the best interests of our country in mind. He doesn't simply want to be President - he wants to lead America, and there's a huge difference.

Factually, there is simply no comparison between the two candidates. A man of questionable background and motives who prattles on about change can't hold a candle to a man who has devoted his life in public service to this nation, retiring from the Navy in 1981 and elected to the Senate in 1982.

Perhaps Obama's supporters are taking a stance between old and new. Maybe they don't care about McCain's service or his strength of character, or his unblemished qualifications to be President. Maybe 'likeability' is a higher priority for them than trust'. Being a prisoner of war is not what qualifies JohnMcCain to be President of the United States of America- but his demonstrated leadership certainly DOES.

Dear friends, it is time for us to stand. It is time for thinking Americans to say, 'Enough..' It is time for people of all parties to stop following the party line. It is time for anyone who wants to keep Americafirst, who wants the right man leading their nation, to start a dialogue with all their friends and neighbors and ask who they're voting for, and why.

There's a lot of evil in this world. That should be readily apparent to all of us by now. And when faced with that evil as we are now, I want a man who knows the cost of war on his troops and on his citizens. I want a man who puts my family's interests before any foreign country.

I want a President whose qualified to lead.

I want my country back, and I'm voting for JohnMcCain.

Semper Fi,

Daniel L. Frost Jr.

GySgt USMC Retired

Kokomo , IN



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Well Said - I've got The McCain Sticker on my car!

USMC 79-06
(OIF 05/06)

Anonymous said...

I will NOT vote for Obama, however I feel I should point out a discrepancy in the letter. You will note that it starts out stating the writer lives in Indiana; further down in the letter the writer states he lives in Illinois.

Anonymous said...

First of all, isn't John McCain running on the promise of change also (why do you think he is running away from Bush as fast and as hard as he can). Maybe you are one of the 7-10% who actually think that we are better of because of the last 8 years of failed Republican policies (90% of which McCain supported). So I guess you are claiming that McCain's desire for change is more genuine than Obama's? Not sure I follow that logic? Can you fill me in on the details of why you think McCain should be our next President? Oh, that's right, you fail to mention even one of McCain's policies that you support. Your statement is just one big contradiction Dan. You support a man based on him being a prisoner of war. That qualifies someone to be president? Because Obama honors McCain's service and then goes on to talk about his differences with him is insulting to you? Just what is Obama supposed to say? "We honor your service to this country John McCain, and I don't know why I'm even bothering to run against you because obviously that should be enough for you to be President."

It just shocks me that you rail on supporters of Obama for not presenting why they want to vote for the man but fail yourself to give even a hint of which of McCain's policies that attract you to vote for him. Obviously you did not ask me why I am voting for Obama because I would have told you THIS:

1. I support change to our health care system so that we can achieve universal health care. Something needs to be done to both expand coverage and to find a way to keep costs from rising so quickly. (that would be change if you are having a hard time recognizing it).

2. Move away from a "trickle-down" economic policy which gives more and more tax cuts to the rich and corporations with the hope that some of that will trickle down to the rest of us. Obama's plan makes more sense to me. Give back more money to the middle class who are more likely to spend it which will spur demand and help grow the economy. (Again, change)

3. Foreign Policy - Move away from unilateral military action to focus more on joining with other members of the international community to move towards dealing with the world's problems. Use diplomacy as a tool. Demand more accountability from the Iraqi government in taking control of their country. Take a fresh approach to the conflict in Afghanistan where the Taliban have gained renewed strength and Al Qaeda still thrives by increasing our troop levels there.

I could go on, but would rather not waste my time especially since you didn't bother to mention even one of McCain's positions and why you support it.

Anonymous said...

Hats off! This explains everything. I recently asked two of my closest friends to just watch a video about Obama and both refused. Both are white. One says she followed the election all the way and his church pastor is 'old news' WHAT??? The second said before I could even explain what the video was about she waved her arms saying 'doesn't matter, they all lie anyway' Both are voting for Obama.
I lost all respect for both my freinds. Another occasion I asked a 21 year old 'why' he was voting Obama and he said 'I'm board and this brings excitment, America needs something different'and no he never reads the news. WHAT????
No one is even remotly interested in knowing this guy. If interested in some truth I have two videos on http://www.myspace.com/rev1108 and on my personal website.
It won't take much to watch them and get enlightened as to 'the change' they are talking about. I am voting McCain and so should everyone else. Enough division. I LOVE AMERICA but if your voting Obama it is obviouse you need to nest in some other country. Try Africa I hear it's quite peaceful and unified there!I also have this very blog letter posted in my personal blogs and on my site.I do believe McCain will win also.

Locations of visitors to this page

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails