Apr 23, 2009

It's No Fun


BB has thrush. And since he has thrush, so do I. We're the sharing type and breastfeeding sure does share the thrush along!

Thrush is an overgrowth of yeast in the baby's mouth and can be painful. BB doesn't seem to be in pain, but the thrush on my most sensitive areas is a bit itchy and bright red. NOT fun, to say the least.

We did the expected thing: called the doctor. As expected he called in a prescription for Nystatin to "swish and swallow" and for me to apply to the areas used for breastfeeding. He had blisters on his lips at 7 days from the thrush such that I took him in to see the doctor. I was told to continue using the solution on both of us for another week and then for two to three days after that.

It's been 10 days and the poor thing is STILL not better. I'm taking things into the realm of natural medicine. I purchased some pure grapefruit seed extract to make a spray solution for use on baby and myself. I found (through a great friend - thanks Anne!) a website about this natural treatment and wanted to share it here. I will also have to go on a yeast free diet - which will be good for my waistline but I'm so not "into" doing.

I sincerely hope you never EVER have to deal with thrush. And if you do, God speed your healing..

Breastfeeding 1-2-3 ~ Thrush - Bliss Tree
Identifying and Treating Thrush (with GSE) - Dr. Jay Gordon
Thrush Resources - Kelly Mom

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails