Jun 17, 2008

What I Need

I need to remember that I DO NOT have to do it all on my own. The kids are perfectly old enough to help fold towels, grate cheese, help make dinner, and control themselves from fighting.

Tears over the phone to Hubbers brought tears from the kids when they heard his edict on the speaker phone. He told them to sit on the couch and do nothing but read for the next three hours - till he got home. They will have a big talk when he gets here.

Since I have discretion, I told the kids to finish cleaning up their rooms and then set them to work on household help. Don't get me wrong, I do have the kids do daily chores but it's minimal. I'm not a natural housekeeper and as long the floor isn't covered in gross and the dishwasher is loaded, I'm all good.

But I also need to remember that I'm so heavily pregnant now that I simply NEED their help more. And while it will be harder on them for a while (harder being a relative term) till after the baby comes, in the long run it will be good for all of us.

When I left my parents' house at age 19, I had no idea how to care for my own home. I was good with laundry and still find a simple joy in putting order to clean clothes. I had been cleaning the house on my own since I was 13 (gee, thanks, mom), although I didn't know it. But there are still things that I don't think to clean - under the fridge, under the stove, inside the microwave and so on. Can I teach my kids to know better than me?

I hope so. I pray so. I want to raise children that are responsive to Christ's movement in their lives but that also know the basics of home care. My learning curve has been way too long.

As to the fighting - I have no idea. I told the kids today that if they didn't stop fighting the stress was going to hurt both me and the baby. That we would both end up in the hospital and there would be no mom at home. What I was looking for was the shock value, I think. But it didn't have the desired effect, I fear. The Boy told me that he was leaving to "pick out a new house".

I think when Hubbers comes home tonight I'll go out on my own to do nothing more than purchase some fruit. It's been 2 weeks straight with the kids and no break. It's very time.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh honey you so need a break! I hope that you got away tonight and that hubbers took care of you!

I've done the same thing with my 2 (calling dad that is). I also think you are doing a wonderful job with them. It is hard to realize they can help and they usually like to help too. Keep up the good work. It will pay off!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Hugs Hugs Hugs!!!
I hope you got even a bit of a break.
Maybe with the older children you could sit with them and brainstorm what THEY think they could do to help you out now, and even after Baby comes. Give them some ownership of it. They are big enough to help write up a chore chart.

Locations of visitors to this page

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails