Sep 27, 2007

I Lost My HYPHEN!!

From Reuters:

About 16,000 words have succumbed to pressures of the Internet age and lost their hyphens in a new edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

Bumble-bee is now bumblebee, ice-cream is ice cream and pot-belly is pot belly.

And if you've got a problem, don't be such a crybaby (formerly cry-baby).

Some of the 16,000 hyphenation changes in the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, sixth edition:

Formerly hyphenated words split in two:

fig leaf, hobby horse, ice cream, pin money, pot belly, test tube, water bed

Formerly hyphenated words unified in one:

bumblebee, chickpea, crybaby , leapfrog, logjam, lowlife, pigeonhole, touchline, waterborne





3 comments:

T with Honey said...

I think you can blame most of this on branding and product labeling. I don't think I have ever purchased a container of Breyer's Ice-Cream. And the can of legumes I opened last week and the hummus ingredients both read chickpea.

Anonymous said...

I agree. But I think texting is ... well, doing more harm to the English language.

:)

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

http://www.mikeleonen.com/

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Very interesting!

Locations of visitors to this page

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails